Ra'a

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Went to the Chapel and I Didn't Get Married

Ah, yes. Wedding season has officially come to a close. As for me, I have been in 4 weddings in the past 9 months. I was only a spectator in this last one, and for that, my wallet has been thanking me.

I enjoyed seeing my good friends Justin Bourlon and Robyn Hopper tie the noose...I mean knot...this past weekend in Rogers, AR. Fortunately, the ceremony went off without a hitch and I was able to reunite with several college buddies. Unfortunately, I caught the garter.

If you don't know Justin and Robyn, their story is one of the few "hopeless romantic" stories I've ever known that actually worked out. Before they started dating, Justin pursued that girl for 2 years (I like to tease Robyn who was an all-conference cross country runner in college that Justin was the only race she couldn't win). Despite the hurdles Justin had to jump to finally get her to go out with him, he persevered. And ever after all the times it looked like things would never work out the way he wanted, he persevered. And even though some of his closest friends told him he needed to give up, he persevered. Because of that perseverence, Justin is now honeymooning in Jamaica with his wife.

Even though most stories don't end as well as Justin's did, the point here is not the outcome or even Justin's specific situation. Life throws us many discouraging barriers, but its how we react to those barriers that defines our character. I'm not much of a hopeless romantic, but I'm proud to say I have friend with the character that Justin does. That guy really pushes me as a man.

Until next time
dm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you come up here on a game day and don't even go.......i mean you used to stretch out rojo.......now you just go to weddings and not games.....

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home