Ra'a

Friday, June 15, 2007

For the kid in each of us


This week has been great. Two amazing things occurred.

First, on Monday, I was watching "That 70's Show" with Justin. Kelso mentioned that he wanted a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. It brought me back to a day when I wanted a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. Suddenly, I did want a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. So much so that I turned to Justin and said, "I want a bowl of Fruity Pebbles." While I meant this in jest, I was also serious. That's when it happened. Justin turned his thicker-by-the-day bearded face to me and said, "Jason left some up in the cabinet, I think its still there." [For those of you who don't know Jason, he's one of our 3 missionary friends serving the Lord on African soil] And in fact, Jason had left his Fruity Pebbles in the states. Ask and I did receive.

And yes, I did finish the bag then and there. Thanks Jason.

Then today, I accomplished one of my childhood desires. I bought a treat from an Ice Cream truck. I always thought those things were a little creepy. Not the guys who drive them, they seem normal enough. What gets me is the way they appear to warn you of their presence long before they actually arrive. One could be miles away, but you can still hear its circus music as it inches closer and closer and closer. Its like an Ice Cream truck has its own anthem, its own theme music, its own soundtrack. Ice Cream trucks are like Jaws. Anyway, as I clutched my chocolate chip ice cream sandwich, I proceeded to tell the driver of the ice cream truck that I had just checked off one of my childhood dreams. To my sadness, he sighed and said, "Mine was to go to Disney World. Still haven't done that."

Make a dream come true for someone, even if that someone is you. That's ok every once in a while too.

4 Comments:

Blogger thispresentsojourn said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113376/

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fruity pebbles must be added to milk incrementally lest they get soggy

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I too have always wanted to get a treat from an ice cream truck. It comes by my house and office a couple of times a week. But unlike you Daniel, I do find the driver scary. Think about it, the only job that guy could get was to drive a multi-colored, strange music blasting, truck in hopes of finding small children . . . And you don't find that odd?

10:07 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

fruity pebbles makes the top of my mouth feel fuzzy....

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home